Sunday, January 26, 2014

The "Two Ties"

This week has been a week of depression.  Elder Carlson received a call this last week from President Stucki informing him that some parts of the Tacloban mission has been announced safe and will be reopening in the near future.  There are 26 missionaries returning and Elder Carlson is one of them. After a mere six weeks, the dynamic duo, the dream team, the self proclaimed "two ties" will be divided.  I guess they decided that this much talent was too much for one area to handle.  It needs to be spread out across the world for the benefit of Filipinos everywhere. We'll be taking him to the mission office later tonight and he'll be catching a flight early tomorrow morning.  Way sad.  I'm gonna miss this kid like crazy.  We've had some amazing experiences this past transfer and we've made a friendship that will last far beyond the mission.  He'll do well over their in Tacloban though. He'll finally be able to talk to people again. (something that has been tough for him here). We heard that he'll be spending quite a bit of time doing service; building houses, helping out people, things like that.  It'll be a great experience for him.  

Other than that, not a lot has happened this week. Thursday was a pretty tough day.  All of our appointments fell through. Not a single person wanted to talk to us.  I had people refusing to shake my hand, people swearing at us, and all that fun stuff.  It's tough when you see people running into their house after they notice the missionaries coming, or people (that you have an appointment with) won't come to the door.  Especially when you can hear them talking inside or you see someone quickly look through the window and then retreat.  It was a tough day.  It makes it a lot tougher when I'm the one that has to do all the talking as well.  I kind of have to carry that whole load on my own shoulders (of course the Lord carries most of it, but it still weighs me down.)  I really wish people could understand the importance of the gospel in their lives.  If they would only give it a chance, they would quickly realize the change that it would cause in their lives. 

Don't worry, there was still some great things that happened this week.  We had the opportunity to attend stake conference this last Sunday (my second stake conference in the same steak.  I've been here for a while).  It was a great experience.  We had some amazing speakers and some amazing musical numbers.  The Cabar choir was supposed to make an appearance, but there was some travel issues coordinating flights.  As I walked in at the beginning of the meeting, I was met by one of the most beautiful sights. Sitting a few rows from the front of the gym was the Caras family excitedly waving at me.  A few rows in front of them was Mark and his family reverently awaiting the beginning of the meeting.  It's little things like that that truly make missionary work that much more worth it. 

I just want to share a quick scriptural thought that I came across during my personal study this week. This scripture is found in the 15th Section of the D&C.  By request, Joseph Smith inquired of the Lord for John Witmer.  He stated the following:

6 And now, behold, I say unto you, that the thing which will be of the most worth unto you will be to declare repentance unto this people, that you may bring souls unto me, that you may rest with them in the kingdom of my Father. Amen.

 I just want to testify to the truthfulness of this scripture.  There is nothing of more worth to us then sharing the gospel and bringing souls unto the lord. This scripture reaches far beyond full time missionaries.  Missionary work brings happiness to the lives of all regardless of our age, gender, or circumstances.  If we feel like we are not as happy as we can be, follow the admonition of the Lord and bring souls unto him. In that work, we will find that which is of the "most worth" to us. 

I love missionary work.  I love the Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment