Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Work Must Go On

What a week full of great working experiences and memorable missionary adventures. ssssskkkkiiiiiiirrrrrr.  Or a week full of staring at the ceiling above my bed haha but never fear, I am nearly back to complete health and ready to approach next week with the boldness of a lion. 

So let's see, what about this week has been worth writing. Sunday. Sunday was a good day. The Amit Family was confirmed members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints.  So cool. There was only three of us participating and we initially thought that the branch president would be giving all of the blessings, however, after he finished the first confirmation he moved and told Elder Atoigue to perform the next one.  Then, following this confirmation, Elder Atoigue told me that it was my turn.  Yikes.  I had no clue what to do so I kinda just went for it haha it went great.  My very first confirmation as a missionary.  Nbd.  For some reason they do all these ordinances in English so that was lucky. Later on in the meeting Elder Atoigue and I also had to give talks in church.  They went well.  I really like Elder Holland's talk in last conference so I based my talk around showing our faith and believing. My Tagalog is still very simple but the talk went well.  Whenever I’m worried about sounding fluid or eloquent I remember that words aren't necessary to feel the spirit. It was a great Sunday. 

Here's a quick update on the Alatiit family.  Last week we were discussing church attendance and trying to convince nanay to continue to come to church.  However, she told us that there is no way that she can continue due to her religious background. She was telling us that it is completely against her culture to read, listen to or take part in any way with other religious groups. She expressed her desire and her belief.  She told us that she knew that the things that we were teaching her were in fact true. She believes the book of Mormon to be true and has loved learning from us.  However, she said that she can't continue to go to church, nor can she read the book of Mormon on her own.  She will not be able to be baptized.  It was really difficult for elder Atoigue and I to hear such news.  We want her family to accept the gospel so bad but we have to respect her culture and her religion.  We know there was a reason that we found this family.  We don't exactly know why but we know that our visits have made a difference.  Who knows, maybe one day she will be able to accept the gospel, but right now is not the right time. It's possible that the next opportunity they'll have to receive the gospel is in the spirit world.  My hope is that when they do hear the message of the gospel again, they will remember the few lessons that we were able to teach.  It will be familiar to them and the feelings that they experienced will come flooding back and they will know with a surety of its truthfulness.  Yep there it is.  Kinda sad.  But such is life. 

I'm going to end this email with a great cultural experience i had the other day. The same day elder Allouigan and I went on exchanges, Elder Allouigan also made a very interesting dish for lunch.  Chicken Stomach.  hahaha Yep, we ate chicken stomach. Not gonna lie, it was actually way good. A little tough, but good.  Be prepared, I’m gonna cook it for you when I get back. I'm not gonna tell you either, that way you can't chicken out. (Chicken out hahaha that's ironic)

No comments:

Post a Comment