Sunday, September 1, 2013

Where People Milk Dogs

So my first district meeting.  It did not go exactly according to plan. I had made arrangements with the bishop of one of the wards in our zone to meet us at the church in order to open the gates for us because he's the only one with a key.  He texted us as we were leaving our house telling us that he couldn't make it.  Yeah I was a little frustrated.  So we sent the elders in our ward to go get the key. Unfortunately, it's about an hour ride there and back. We waited at the church for about 45 minutes waiting for the key.  The senior couple finally told us that we could just go to their apartment that was about a 15-minute ride away. So we all made our way over there.  We were finally able to start our district meeting.  We were an hour late.  It's all good though.  The lesson went well.  Not exactly how I imagined my first district meeting to go.  
Don't worry, we had another district meeting yesterday and it went so much better.

We had zone conference this week. It was great. And long.  It started at 9 o’clock in the morning and ended around 330.  I learned a ton though.  President Stucki is an amazing guy.  He is a great leader, teacher and president of this mission.  He really respects his calling as a mission president and truly does everything in his power to move the work forward.  You can tell that he is inspired of God and really cares about each of the missionaries he presides over. It was great to listen to and learn from him. 

Elder Tofi and I had a great experience last Monday teaching a referral of one of our members. Her name is Lydia. She is probably 70 or so and so nice. We taught her and her daughter, Debbie, about the restoration.  The lesson went so well.  After the lesson, she told us that when we open our mouths, we speak with power.  There are few phrases that are more valuable to a missionary.  Especially when you're teaching in a foreign language. It was such a cool experience.  I really hope that Lydia progresses.  She's a great person and would be a great member of the church. 

So I saw something pretty awesome the other day.  Elder Tofi and I were just walkin to an appointment and in the distance I saw a women sitting next to a dog. I didn't think anything of it.  As we approached, I realized she wasn't just sitting next to the dog.  She was milking the dog. Milking a dog. In the middle of the street.  It was the weirdest thing I have ever seen.  Gotta love life as a missionary in a foreign country where people milk dogs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment