Sunday, August 31, 2014

Bigger and Better Things


All right, well this week has been another crazy week. I don't even know where to start. I guess I’ll start with last Tuesday. Last Tuesday was going home activities. The day before the departing missionaries end their mission, they spend the day with the Ostlers and cruise around the city and do some fun stuff. Because I am one of the only missionaries in the mission that has a license, I was the one cruising them around (Did I mention that I drive a 12 passenger van? Yeah, no one messes with me on the manila roads).  We went to the temple, the American war cemetery, then to the mission home for some food and words of wisdom from President Ostler and his wife. Fortunately, we don't have to be at the portion when President counsels the missionaries, because all they talk about is getting married and starting a family. That's the fastest way to make a missionary trunky. During that time, we were taking luggage to hotels and getting all the other things ready. It was a good experience though.  A lot of the missionaries were some of my good friends. Sister Grant, the sister in my district at the MTC, was also in attendance. You know you're old in the mission when the sisters you came into the field go home. That's crazy. It's amazing to see how much we grow over years. They had an amazing testimony meeting and the spirit was very strong. The lives of those missionaries has been forever changed. President made a very profound statement that I would like to share. It's quite applicable to everything going back at home. He shared with the missionaries,"Your missions are the greatest things you have done thus far in your life. However, it's not the greatest thing that you will ever do. There are bigger and better things in the future." Missions are the greatest foundations for those "bigger and better" things. It is a stepping stone that takes us farther in life then we could ever have gone without it. What will be happening this Friday is one of those "bigger and better" things. 

The next day was transfer day, the craziest day ever. We welcomed 28 new missionaries into the mission. Elder Limocon and I awoke at 4:45 am to get everything ready and were running till 10:30 pm. It was quite the day. It was great to experience that day with all of the new missionaries. It reminded of me when I was in that situation. That sure was a long time ago. The first real day of the best 2 years. I loved seeing the excitement and joy on their faces. They have no clue what they've got themselves into. They will experience the most difficult, rewarding, joy filled years of their entire lives, years that they wouldn't trade for anything. 

The rest of the week has been great. We had a baptism this week!! We began to teach a kid right when I got into the area and he was baptized last Saturday. His parents are members, but had been less active for quite some time (sound familiar #lessactivepartmemberfamilies); they had a "come to Jesus" moment and decided that they wanted to return to church. We were right there to help them do it? They are now active in the church and their son, Daejiro, is now a member of the church. It was great. I sure love missions. Nothing better than witnessing a family take major steps to being sealed in the temple. Actually, there is one thing better than witnessing a family take those steps. Being a part of that process is a lot better then just witnessing it.

Well that about wraps it up for this week. We have an awesome week coming up. Elder Ardern, the area president, will be visiting the mission this week and I’ll be spending quite a bit of time with him. I'm stoked. I just hope I don't make a fool of myself. This week also includes a trip out to Palawan! I'm headed back to the Celestial kingdom. Unfortunately, I won't be visiting my previous area, but it'll be great to be on Palawan soil

No comments:

Post a Comment