Sunday, August 3, 2014

What Can I Do To Be More Like Nephi?


Well this week has been a pretty good week. It all started with a wonderful trip to the temple. I sure do love that place. You'll never guess who I saw. Do you remember the 3 ward missionaries from Cabar that always worked with us and we helped send off on missions? Yep, I saw one of them at the Temple the other day; Sister Lagan. It was so cool. She's been out on her mission for 9 months. She's serving in Tacloban with Elder Carlson (yep, they know each other). She got sick so she flew up to Manila for medical attention. Luckily, it was right at the same time that our zone was up at the temple. It was even more amazing because I could actually understand what she was saying to me. We could actually communicate. She gave me a great report about Cabar, everything is going great. The church is thriving (I use the term thriving very lightly). They have a new church building and everything. I sure miss that place. It was a great experience. 

A quick report on the work here in Bonifacio 4. It's amazing. This week, however, was kinda tough. The culture of the Philippines is quite interesting in the fact that a lot of people are extremely willing to make commitments, but more times than not, don't keep those commitments. For example, we were expecting upwards of 15 investigators at church this past week. They had all committed to come to church and were even excited to go to church. Sunday comes. Only 2 of the 15 actually made it. Elder Diamse and I were super stoked to have 2 investigators at church, but it gets kinda frustrating that the other 13 didn't come. Don't get me wrong, I love these people with all of my heart, but man, it's tough putting trust and faith in the agency of others. Just gotta remember that Agency is one of the key points of God's plan.

However, one of my favorite families in the world made it to church yesterday, Jenna and Edmar. Just thinkin about that family makes me smile. I sure love them a lot. They are the cutest family in the world. I wish I could send you pictures, I’m just worried that my memory cards are going to get a virus or something. Anyway, we taught them about the plan of salvation this past week and it was just great. I love testifying that through the wonderful plan our father in heaven has for us, our families can be united through the eternities in the Celestial Kingdom.  It truly is a plan of happiness. 

Had a great experience at MLC this last Thursday. It’s amazing how fast things change. It seems like just yesterday I was in my first MLC. Now, I’m one of the veterans. Crazy. We had a great meeting that was full of the spirit. President Ostler is an amazing man. The Lord truly does hand pick his Mission Presidents. It's another testimony to me of the importance of this work and always reminds me whose work it really is. 

Well that's about all for this week. Nothin too crazy happened. I would just like to end with a quick spiritual thought. Nephi is one of my favorite book of Mormon prophets for numerous reasons. His testimony is rock solid, he's full of charity, he has complete trust in the Lord and is an amazing teacher (Nephi and I have another special connection. From all of the pictures, it looks like we have about the same body structure). I often wonder what I can do to be more like Nephi. The answer is found in his last words written in the Book of Mormon. 2 Nephi 33: 

Thus hath the Lord commanded me, and I must obey. Amen. 

If we desire to develop the testimony, faith, and teaching power of Nephi, we have to start with obedience. There's a reason that it is the first law of heaven and all blessings are received in accordance with obedience to a specific law. Be obedient. Nothing else will bring the same blessings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment